Thursday, 03 April, 2025
Thursday, 03 April, 2025

US to give $73 million to aid Rohingya refugees: state dept

Reuters, Washington
  28 Mar 2025, 00:15
A view of the Rohingya refugee camp with mountains of Myanmar in the background is pictured in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, March 16, 2025. Photo: Reuters/Mohammad Ponir Hossain

The Trump administration said on Thursday it will provide $73 million in new financial aid to Rohingya refugees through the UN World Food Programme, amid concerns that aid cuts could deepen the crisis for the world's largest stateless population.

"This food and nutrition support through @WFP will provide critically needed food and nutrition assistance for more than one million people," US State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said in a post on X. "It is important that our international partners engage with sharing the burden with life-saving assistance such as this."

The infusion comes as US President Donald Trump and his administration have made sweeping cuts to foreign assistance as part of his "America First" agenda and wider efforts to drastically cut federal spending and dismantle parts of the US government.

Two United Nations agencies had warned that a funding deficit would curb rations for the Rohingya in Bangladesh who have fled violence in neighboring Myanmar for the past eight years. Refugees have worried that cuts would worsen hunger, curtail critical healthcare and fuel crime.

Washington had been the largest provider of aid to the Rohingya refugees, contributing nearly $2.4 billion since 2017, according to the State Department. But the recent freeze on funds after Trump took office in January has forced at least five hospitals to reduce services.
Trump and billionaire ally Elon Musk have moved to shutter USAID, the main US foreign aid agency, and merge its remnants into the State Department, fired hundreds of staff and contractors and terminated billions of dollars in services on which tens of millions of people around the world depend.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio in February granted a waiver for all life-saving assistance and reasonable administrative costs as necessary to deliver such aid.

The Trump administration official overseeing the dismantling of USAID had proposed phasing out help for the Rohingya, Reuters reported earlier this month.

Comments

  • Latest
  • Popular

Bangladesh faces 37% US tariff under new Trump trade policy

Bangladesh urges BIMSTEC states to finalise key trade agreements

UN urges aid to Myanmar quake survivors before monsoons hit, death toll climbs towards 3,000

Bangladesh sends second aid package to Myanmar quake victims

Bangladesh should increase economic engagement with East European countries

Myanmar quake: Hope fades for survivors as toll passes 2,000

Modi greets Yunus, Bangladeshis on Eid

Chief adviser calls for unity despite all adversities

Shehbaz Sharif invites Yunus to visit Pakistan

People crowd National Eidgah, chief advisor attends prayer service

১০
Bangladesh faces 37% US tariff under new Trump trade policy
The United States has announced a 37 percent tariff on imports from Bangladesh as part
US congratulates Bangladesh on Independence Day
The United States has extended its heartfelt congratulations to the people of Bangladesh on the
Govt reacts to Tulsi Gabbard's comments on Bangladesh
The interim government has expressed concern over the remarks made by Director of US National
Bangladesh situation a 'major area of concern’ for US: Tulsi Gabbard
US Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard today said the situation in Bangladesh is a